Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

A while ago, MissGrace led me to discover this blog about a couple who had a premature baby. When Maddie Spohr was a about a year and a half, she died unexpectedly from complications from a respiratory infection. When I first discovered this blog, it hit me too close to home. I was a preemie baby born at about 29 weeks and weighed 1lb 15oz. I stayed in the hospital for about 2 1/2 months, until I weighed 5 lbs. When Maddie was born, she weighed 3 lbs. She had a whole pound on me. I have checked in on the Spohrs from time to time, and every time I do, my stomach turns into knots. I survived my premature birth, had to be on oxygen for a while, but otherwise suffered no health issues from it. I am 21, healthy, standing 5'10" about to be a senior in college. I often forget just how lucky I was to have survived my early birth, and just to think about every single problem that could have arrived and I escaped with literally none. Just writing this is making my stomach turn and my hands shake a little. My heart goes out to the Spohrs, to have had such a devastating loss in their family, and to Maddie, whose life was too short and her passing unbelievably tragic. So here's to all the father's, with little babies, those who lost babies, and to all the premature babies out there who are lucky enough to be alive. Happy Father's Day.

No comments: